Alcohol Drug Education Traffic School (ADETS)
Alcohol and drug addiction are real problems in North Carolina. According to a 2019 report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) National Center for Statistics and Analysis, North Carolina had 323 deaths related to alcohol-impaired driving, making us rank in the top 10 states in the country for alcohol-impaired driving deaths. While this has improved by 20% since 2012, we still have a long way to go.
Absolute Advocacy is doing something about it. We are one of the few DWI agencies approved by the state of North Carolina to provide ADETS classes. We are committed to meeting the needs of both the community as well as the person who needs alcohol and drug treatment and educational intervention.
General Information About ADETS Classes
ADETS is a 16-hour DWI education program (split into four sessions) that has been proven effective at teaching people with DWI convictions about the problems with using and abusing substances, including how to lessen the risk of substance use disorder. In working with both the client (the person convicted of DWI) and the Department of Motor Vehicles, our agency acts as the go-between resource and advocate.
Through the ADETS classes, our goal is to reduce the risk of accidents, abuse and addiction related alcohol and drug use.
Do I Qualify For ADETS Classes?
We offer ADETS courses for DWI offenders who meet the following criteria:
- First time DWI offense
- Assessment shows no substance abuse handicap
- Blood alcohol content is .14 or less
- Assessor recommends ADETS course
You can enroll in our ADETS classes even if you completed your assessment somewhere else.
What is The Goal of ADETS Classes?
The ADETS program is an opportunity to educate you on the risks and consequences of alcohol and drug use and abuse.
There are five key components to the class:
- Setting/establishing the goals of the program
- Teaching facts about mood altering substances such as drugs and alcohol
- Student Assessment – applying the facts about drugs and alcohol to personal life
- Development of a personal usage/life plan
- Life after the ADETS program
Positive Feedback From Prior ADETS Clients
Here are just a few comments we’ve received from clients who have taken our ADETS class:
- This class opened my eyes to many different aspects of the consequences of high risk behavior. Keisha did a very good job keeping us on task and giving personal observations.
- I think that you guys were very professional. You could definitely make strong impacts in people’s lives, and I thought that both of you were charismatic to all of us and non-judgmental which made the class easier to come to.
- I thought your business was great. You are easy to get in contact with and return phone calls. Other agencies were not as prompt and some were unprofessional. I would definitely refer people here.
When And Where Are ADETS Classes Offered?
Absolute Advocacy offers monthly ADETS classes that fit your schedule. Each of the four sessions of the 16-hour DWI program will be offered monthly on evenings and weekends to accommodate busy workday schedules.
NEW IN 2020: We are pleased to announce that ADETS classes are now part of our online services. In addition to practicing COVID-19 safety, the online format allows our classes to be even more convenient and accessible for our clients throughout North Carolina.
2022 ADETS class schedule
Partners and sponsors
Absolute Advocacy is always seeking sponsors and partners to join us in preventing drug and alcohol addiction and making our roads and communities safer.
Consider helping us in this mission by:
- Becoming a panelist or speaker at an upcoming ADETS class
- Partnering with us on community workshops
- Sharing our website with other agencies who share the same mission
- Recommending us to people in need of our services
Together, we can bring about real solutions to the real drug and alcohol problems we face in our state.
Contact us today to discuss how we can partner to prevent the negative effects of alcohol and drug abuse.